Chapter I General Provisions
1.The 4th China International Violin Making and Bow Making Competition (hereinafter referred to as "The Competition") is endorsed and approved by the Chinese government authority.
will be hosted by：
Central Conservatory of Music (CCOM).
China Musical Instrument Association
Research Center of Violin Making, Central Conservatory of Music
Chinese Violin Makers' Association
The Competition aims to promote the international exchange of ideas within the string instruments and bows making industry, to improve the technological level of Chinese violin making and to provide a platform for young people to show their talents.
2.The 4th Competition will be held from May 5th to 15th, 2019 in the Central Conservatory of Music & National Center for the Performing Art (NCPA), Beijing, China.
3.The competition includes items of violin, viola, cello and violin bow, viola bow, cello bow.
4.The Competition will be strictly conducted in accordance with the principles and practices of international violin-making competitions and traditions, in the way of absolute anonymity to ensure a fair and just competition.
5.The Organizing committee, the judging panel, and other functional committees have been set up to ensure the smooth progress of the competition.
Chapter II Application
1. Entry qualifications and requirements:
Any person with a background in the professional production of musical instruments and bows from all countries and regions in the world, regardless of age and gender, are welcome to register and participate in the competition. However, participants who are relatives of one of the competition judges, or who have been employed by one of the judges in the last two years are not allowed to participate in the competition.
2. Participants are encouraged to register via one of the following two ways:
(1)On-line: Participants can fill out the Registration Form directly from the site www.civmc.com and send it to the Competition Organizer Committee.
(2)Written registration: Participants should fill out the Registration Form (See Annex I) clearly and completely and mail it to the Competition Organizing Committee. Registration Form can be copied or downloaded on the website www.civmc.com
Address:Room 206, Office Building
Research Center of the Violin Making, Central Conservatory of Music.
43 Baojia Street, Beijing, China, zip code: 100031,
Tel: 86-10-6642-5751, Fax: 86-10-6641-2125,
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Contact person: Ms. Adri SHI
3. Valid application forms must be accompanied by:
(1) Registration fee:
---Participants from mainland China: RMB 1,200 Yuan of the remittance voucher from a bank or post office for the first instrument, and RMB 800 Yuan for each additional instrument.
---Participants from foreign countries and outside mainland China): 150 Euros of the remittance voucher from a bank or post office as the registration fee for the first instrument, and 100 Euros will be charged as registration fees for each additional instrument.
(2) Musical instruments Entry Photo: 2 pieces of 10 X 15 cm, the front and back of the instrument for violin group; the head, frog and part of the stick of the bow for bow group; photos must be marked with the participant's nationality, name, address, telephone number and email address on the back.
4. Application materials must reach The Organizing Committee no later than April 1, 2019 via mail or e-mail, the exact date of arrival will be checked according to the postmark date on receipt of materials. According to the receipt of the application materials and registration fee payment credential, the Organizing Committee will confirm to the participants within two weeks via mail or e-mail. Once the confirmation letter is received, the participant can deliver the instruments to the Organizing Committee.
5. Once the application materials are submitted, it means the applicant agrees and accepts all the rules of the competition. Registration fees are non-refundable if the applicant decides not to participate in the competition. The application fee paid is not refundable for any of the following circumstances in which the participant is unable to participate due to reasons
If because of insufficient information or personal reasons, the applicant is not able to participate in the competition, application materials and application fees are not retrievable and non-refundable. Shows as follows.
(1) The application materials are not real or complete;
(2) The musical instrument did not arrive at the competition committee on time
(3) Drop out or take the entries in advance after registration.
6. Registration fees must be made payable through bank or post office
Wire transfer information:
Overseas competitors registration fee:
Name of the Account: Central Conservatory of Music
Address of the Account: 43, Baojia Street, Xicheng District
Beijing, 100031 China
Account Number: 344156033863
Name of the Bank: Beijing Da Cheng Dasha Branch, Bank of China
Number of the Bank: 226
SWIFT Code: BKCHCNBJ110
Please make sure to indicate "for violin and bow making competition" together with the participant's name upon transfer of funds.
Remittance poundage should be paid by the competitors.
Chapter III Competition Provisions and Regulations
1. The number of instruments for entry in the competition.
(1) Violin Group: Each participant can enter in three categories (violin, viola, cello) in the competition, and the number of entries shall not be more than 3 pieces in total and not be more than 2 pieces in each category.
(2) Bow Group: Each participant can enter in three categories (Bow for the violin, viola, cello) in the competition, and the number of entries shall not be more than 3pieces in total and not be more than 2 piece in each category.
2. All the entry instruments must have been made after September 2016. All entries provided by participants must be independently completed, and made fully by hand. The Organizing Committee reserves the right to independently verify its hand-made authenticity.
3. Violin Group: No instrument will be allowed to participate in the competition if it:
(1) Has been previously entered in any competitions and received awards;
(2) Using machine manufacturing or spraying varnish;
(3) Using special shapes, decoration, colors or wood that violates the traditional art and craft of violin making;
(4) Any antiquing effects;
(5) Abnormal size (e.g. viola's length range of 400-425 mm);
(6) Any inconsistency as deemed by the jury as not proper for the level of the competition.
4. Bow Group: No bow will be allowed to participate in the competition if it:
(1) Baroque style bow.
(2)Using artificial synthesized materials to make the stick, such as carbon fiber.
(3) If the frog material is ivory, tortoiseshell, or the bow winding uses whalebone or other violations of The Wildlife Protection Convention.
(4) If the bow contains the engraved producers name or other identifying patterns.
(5) If the bow frog is not the participant's own work.
(6) Any inconsistency as deemed by the jury as not proper for the level of the competition
5. Participants can choose to use any type of accessories and brand of strings.
6. All Entries submitted must be absolutely anonymous. All the instruments, from outside to inside should not bear any signs, even coverage of labels, names, numbers, letters, and so on. If the entry instrument is not anonymous, it will be disqualified in the competition.
Chapter IV Submission and Retrieval of Entries
1. Participants will bear all the costs for the submission and retrieval of the entries.
2. The Means of Submission
(1) Direct delivery of the entries to the venue.
The participant or an associate can deliver the entries in person to the venue. The Organizing Committee will be open to accept entries from 8:00 to 17:00 on May 4, 2019 at The Violin Making Research Center of the Central Conservatory of Music.
Address: The Violin Making and Research Center Central Conservatory of Music
43 Baojia Street, Beijing, China, zip code: 100031,
Tel: 86-10-6642-5751, Fax: 86-10-664-12125,
Cell phone: 86-133-6676-0496 E-mail: email@example.com
Contact person: Mr. Xueyong Li
(2) Submission and Retrieval of the entries via transportation or post
A) Transportation or mail entries in China must be delivered to The Organizing Committee and arrived at venue of the competition before April 25, 2019.
B) Submission and Retrieval of entries from foreign countries and outside mainland China, please refer to the Guide of Musical Instrument Transportation. The ATA certificate shall be applied in your countries, that the Musical Instruments can pass the customs smoothly when they arrive in China. According to customs requirements, the imported articles must be returned by the original way.
C) In order to facilitate the submission of competitors from Europe and America, an agent has been appointed by the organizing committee of the competition in the Europe and America to send the instruments to China. (Please follow the website for further information)
3. The Procedure of Acceptance:
A) For each instrument delivered to the venue, The Organizing Committee will appoint staff members to be in charge of delivery and acceptance to open and check the box in front of the carrier. If the musical instrument is damaged due to transportation, the organizing committee will take pictures of the instrument and immediately notify the participant. The Organizing Committee will not be held responsible for such damages and the consequences for the musical instrument not being able to participate in the competition.
B)Upon receiving the entries, the Organizing Committee will appoint staff members to register and label the entries, seal the registration form, the resume, statements and other related materials. All the sealed materials will be opened only at the end of the completion when the scores and names of the participants are announced in order to ensure the objectivity and impartiality of the competition.
4. Entries can be retrieved in two ways:
(1) From the exhibition hall of NCPA after the end of the exhibition at 15:00-17:00 on May 15, 2019.
(2) Retrieved from the Central Conservatory of Music Violin Making Research Center at 8:00-17:00 on May 17, 2019.
(3)The participants to retrieve entries are required to produce a receipt, and sign on the retrieval form. For participants asking person(s) to retrieve the entry on their behalf (i.e. proxy receipt) participants are required to produce written authorization.
(4)After the end of the competition, The Organizing Committee will be entrusted to return the musical instruments by mail or courier to the participants who should fill out the form "Entries Loopback Application Form" for the mailing of musical instruments accompanied by the application form together with the payment for returning of musical instruments to The Organizing Committee's account. If the payment is not enough to pay for the mailing, the participant is expected to pay in full. Please indicate "The payment for the Entries Loopback" on the Remittance Information.
(5)Submitting entries by post can entrust a Chinese local Courier service to pick up the Musical Instruments from the organizing committee and send them to the receiver's address. Participants shall be insured for the entries, and the organizing committee will not be held responsible.
The Organizing Committee will make every effort to ensure the safety of all entries. The Organizing Committee is not responsible for any accidental damages or loss during the competition, except where there is evidence that The Organizing Committee has been of negligent in the care and handling of the entries. Participants are expected to purchase insurance for their musical instruments.
Chapter V Evaluation Procedures
1. The jury includes the president, internationally renowned master violin makers, bow makers and string players. The president will organize and lead the jury, but will not participate in the adjudication of the scores.
2. The competition consists of two rounds, the preliminary and the final round for the violin group and the first round and the second round for the bow group. The staff will assign a number to each entry instrument for identification before the submission to the Judging Panel.
3. The jury will make the initial selection for qualified entry instruments. During the process, some of the entries that are not qualified in crafts and in acoustic quality in accordance with the competition standard will be eliminated before taking part in the official competitions.
4. Violin group competition:
(1) Preliminary round: The jury will be divided into two groups, and will evaluate all the entries in workmanship, artistic structure and acoustic quality. Ranking order will be decided by the scores from the jury, and a group of the top entries will enter the final competition. The number of instruments entering the final round will be decided by the jury.
(2) Final round: The organizing committee will re-number each finalist's instrument for identification. The jury of the second round consists of two groups, namely the one for workmanship, artistic structure and another for acoustic quality. The judging of acoustic quality during the final stage of the competition will be open to the public.
5. Bow group competition:
(1) First round: The jury will evaluate all the entries in workmanship, artistic structure. Ranking order will be decided by the scores from the jury, and a group of the top entries will enter the final competition. The top half of the total entries may be selected into the Second round.
(2) Second round: The organizing committee will re-number each bow which into Second round for identification. The two group jury will evaluate the entries in workmanship, artistic structure and acoustic quality. The acoustic quality judging during Second round stage of the competition will be open to the public.
6. Final results:
(1) Violin group: The score in final round will be the final score of the entry. Each participant will be informed of their scores in each round after the end of the competition.
(2) Bow group: The score in second round will be the final score of the entry. Each participant will be informed of their scores in each round after the end of the competition.
(3) The jury will hold a panal meeting after completing a careful examination of all the results, and ultimately determine the winners of the various awards.
7. Decisions from the jury are final and cannot be changed.
Chapter VI Prizes
1. Gold Award:
(1) Upon the recommendation of the jury, the Competition may present six gold medals in the categories of violin, viola, cello, as well as, violin bow, viola bow, cello bow.
(2) The Organizing Committee will issue each winner an award certificate and a gold medal.
(3) The gold medal instruments or bow will be purchased by The Organizing Committee. The gold prize will be paid by RMB.
The Gold Medal Award Violin RMB 120, 000 Yuan.
The Gold Medal Award Viola RMB 120, 000 Yuan.
The Gold Medal Award Cello RMB 200, 000 Yuan.
The Gold Medal Award Violin Bow RMB 15, 000 Yuan.
The Gold Medal Award Viola Bow RMB 15, 000 Yuan.
The Gold Medal Award Cello Bow RMB 20, 000 Yuan.
(4)The above-mentioned purchase covers the customs tax, personal income tax, the EU value-added tax and custom tariff for non-EU countries. The costs will be deducted from the final sum paid to foreign winners.
(5) Bonuses will be paid by remittance. Chinese winners in mainland China should provide personal bank account (Union pay) to the organizing committee within 10 days after the competition; Overseas Winners should provide bank account to the organizing committee after receiving winning notice within ten days. The organizing committee will remit the bonuses by Bank of China in accordance with the published foreign exchange rate, the bank charges shall be borne by the prize-winner.
2. Silver Medal Award:
(1) The Competition will present six silver medals in the categories of violin, viola, cello violin bow, viola bow, cello bow.
(2) The Organizing Committee will issue each winner an award certificate and a silver medal.
3. Bronze Medal Award:
(1) The Competition will present six bronze medals in the categories of violin, viola, cello violin bow, viola bow, cello bow.
(2) The Organizing Committee will issue each winner an award certificate and a bronze medal.
4. Single Item Awards: Awards of violin group will be given for the first place instruments in workmanship and in acoustic quality in the competition. A certificate for Excellence will also be issued.
5. Finalists Award: honorary certificates of violin group will be given to all the participants who entered the final round in the competition.
6. Special Award: The jury, special guests, associations, music institutions and musicians may recommend to grant a Special Award for the outstanding and unique entries if The Organizing Committee and the jury approved.
7. Certificate of Participation: All eligible participants will be given a certificate of participation.
Chapter VII Exhibition and Additional Matters
1. The Exhibition of the 4th China International Violin and Bow Making Competition 2019 will be held from May 10 to 15, 2019. All the musical instruments participating in the competition are eligible to enter the exhibition. Participants are requested to declare in advance when the entries are submitted if for some reason they decide not to participate in the exhibition. Participants who decide not to participate in the exhibition will be requested to pay 25 Euros or RMB 200 Yuan for early withdrawal from the competition.
2. The Exhibition will publish all the photos of the participating instruments and release participants' information. Participants who do not wish to publish and release their information are requested to declare in advance to The Organizing Committee.
3. During the competition The Organizing Committee will hold seminars for string instruments making and bow making and the cultural significance of stringed instrument. Tours will be available for visiting local violin making enterprises. Finally, a concert will be held using the winning instruments and also a celebration party will be held for all Participants.
4. The English edition of the statutes and regulations is for the convenience and reference only for foreign participants, the Chinese version shall prevail when conflicts occur in the translation.
5. The final explanation and interpretation of the statutes or constitution belongs to the Competition Organizing Committee.